Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mmmmm...Raw Milk!

I had forgotten how good raw milk is! My mother has done a 180 with her stance on milk. Before, we drank soy and she drank almond. Now she's drinking raw milk from the local dairy. Just barely, I decided to have a cup to see if I still liked it. And I do. Pasteurized, homogenized milk is another story. From time to time, our neighbors gift us with a gallon. And it sits in the refrigerator and rots unless we pass it on to someone who doesn't mind the 'dead' flavor. Drinking soy milk is different from drinking cow milk. The animal milk tastes more alive, for one thing. I don't know how to describe it any better than that. My future plans definitely include a cow or a goat or both for milk.

You see, I was raised on goat milk. My dad raised goats. His preference is French Alpine/Saanen crosses. He would butcher goats and although I would disappear for the actual killing, once they were dead, I would come out and watch.

Then my mom left my dad and so we switched to pasteurized, homogenized cow's milk. From there, we moved on to rice milk and soy milk. Then we were drinking raw milk, then back to soy milk and then my mom switched to almond. Now my mother is drinking raw milk again while my sister and I continue to drink soy.

No comments: