Sunday, July 19, 2009

How to Make Pasta/Pizza Sauce

I frequently make pasta and pizza. It's very good although no one else in my family has quite the same taste for it as I. They'll eat the spaghetti and they're fans of homemade pizza, but the only thing Italian-food-wise that they like as much as I do is Lasagna (due to the rarity because of how much more work it is) and macaroni or penne or rotini and cheese melted in and then topped with the sauce I make (rather than pasta and sauce topped with cheese like most people do).

I have tried many different recipes in my search for so-called perfection (I'm a great deal pickier about my cooking than anyone else). Finally, after plenty of experience, I invented my own recipe. It's dreadfully simple, once I ironed out the "wrinkles."

Ingredients:
  • 40 fluid ounces of tomato sauce
  • 29.5 fluid ounces tomatos in puree
  • 3 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
  • salt to taste (1/8- 1/4 teaspoon)
  • onion to taste (one medium onion or 1/8-1/4 cup dried)
  • and garlic to taste (as few as 3-5 cloves, as many as an entire head, or 1/8 cup dried)
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
  2. Simmer, stirring frequently, until the flavors "blend" together.
  3. I usually just turn the burner on high and figure it's done when it boils. If I need it to stay warm longer, I'll just turn the heat all the way down and leave it until I need it. As a general rule, you can simmer it from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Be careful; you can cook it so long the flavor disappears.
Makes enough for one pound of pasta and up to two pizzas.

No comments: