Saturday, July 18, 2009

Uh Oh, I'm Waxing Philosophical! Jon always said I was a sage with mad chicken-cooking skills...

My sister lost the camera. No pictures of my lovely garden (that I have now nearly killed twice due to neglecting to water, but that's a tale for another day). :*(

I've been feeling very philosophical today. You see, way back when I was a freshman (did I ever bother to mention that I graduated in May?), I had a wonderful science teacher. That year we did Physical Science, and during one of the lectures, he talked about time, what it was, if it was, how it related to science, etc. As I did every other afternoon, I thought about that day's science class. And that was when I decided I didn't believe in time as anything more than an idea that helps us to make sense of our world.

Today, I have returned to those thoughts. Occasionally, I will stop being in my head and come out and be. I just sit or stand or whatever and I clear my head of all my thoughts and just think about the moment. There's a poem I remember:
I have only just a minute,
Only sixty seconds in it,
Forced upon me, can't refuse it,
Didn't seek it, didn't choose it,
But it's up to me to use it;
I must suffer if I lose it,
Give account if I abuse it;
Just a tiny little minute
But eternity is in it.
--Author Unknown
Nothing sums up a moment of just sitting a being who or what you are better than that. Because for real, all we have is ourselves, our choices, and now. There isn't really a past or a future, or at least not one we can actually get to from here. We must learn from the past and prepare for the future, but we can only live well if we live now.

It's kind of hard for me to wrap my mind around what I'm trying to say because when you're here and now and not thinking of anything else, it's hard to be there. We keep trying to jump into what we should be doing and what we shouldn't have done that now is the furthest thing from our minds.

But now is all we have to work with.

No comments: