Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pudding and Braces

As of this moment, my mother is outside removing rust from our woodstove so she can put "stove blacking" (that's what she calls it...I think the can has a different name) on it. Then she wants to hire my friend's dad (who is a builder) to install a stovepipe. Then we'll have a woodstove again! I miss keeping warm with fire. This electric heater business is so wrong.

Doesn't the picture make you feel warm just looking at it?

So far, I have been making good on posting regularly. I am quite proud of myself for getting to three posts. I daren't make any promises to continue, though, because I have this thing where when I feel obligated (to myself) to do something, then I put it off indefinitely. So sad.

And yesterday I got the braces on my bottom teeth put on. And they hurt! Why? When I got my top braces put on, it didn't hurt at all! And when I got my expander put on it was only painful for a few hours...oh well. At least after this I'll have straight teeth. I have been subsisting on pudding lately. I keep trying solids but with little success.

Vanilla Pudding. 

This is a pudding recipe from a cookbook my lil sis has. 

  • 1/3 cup sugar (I use unrefined dried can sugar in place of regular white sugar)
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 cups milk (I used Silk soymilk...and a lil' extra cornstarch to aid the thickening)
  • 2 large egg yolks (save the whites for the Pumpkin pudding recipe that follows)
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  1. In saucepan mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over med heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir for a minute.
  2. Gradually stir in half the hot mixture into the egg yolks, then stir back into hot mixture in saucepan. Boil and stir for another moment. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla.
  3. Chill pudding for an hour or until chilled. Store covered in refrigerator. 4 servings.

Pumpkin Pudding. This is my very own recipe for Pumpkin Pudding. It could use some refinement in texture, but it tastes really good.
  • 4 eggs separated, plus the egg whites left over from the above recipe
  • 1 (29oz) can pumpkin
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, and 1/2 tsp cloves)
  • 12 oz soymilk
  • 6 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  1. Place egg yolks in a large pan. Stir in pumpkin, sugar, salt, spices and milk separately. Using a wire whip, mix in cornstarch. Stir over medium heat until it boils. Continue stirring until it thickens to a pudding consistency. Remove from heat.
  2. Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Mix with wire whip. Stir in butter and vanilla. Heat over low heat until mixture is throughly blended.
  3. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled or overnight.
Mexican Goulash (another recipe of my own devising)
  • 1 box prepared vegan taco filling
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
  • taco sauce (to taste)
Mix ingredients in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot. Serve warm.

No comments: